SST
Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - Printable Version

+- SST (https://www.steroidsourcetalk.org/mybb)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://www.steroidsourcetalk.org/mybb/Forum-Forums)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.steroidsourcetalk.org/mybb/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary (/Thread-Bloodwork-Is-Fasting-Necessary)

Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - DMill9 - 03-15-2019

Going in for bloodwork soon for test, estro, HGH, IGF-1, metabolic panels.

I believe due to the metabolic panel, the lab order states that I have to be fasted for 12 hours.

Currently on a bulk, eating 5000 cal / day and a 12 hour fast is out of the question. Will going in non-fasted really screw up lipds and liver value readings?

I have had bloodwork ordered by a doctor before and he told me to defy the fasting instruction and eat breakfast before I go in. He said he likes to see values as they would be normally.

RE: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - Heavyweightmover - 03-16-2019

I think it only matter when you’re looking at blood sugar levels. IGF may be slightly affected but in the grand scheme of things I’m sure it’s not a huge deal. I would just avoid carb heavy meals if you can’t fast due to time or work.

RE: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - DMill9 - 03-16-2019

(03-16-2019, 02:52 AM)Heavyweightmover Wrote: I think it only matter when you’re looking at blood sugar levels. IGF may be slightly affected but in the grand scheme of things I’m sure it’s not a huge deal. I would just avoid carb heavy meals if you can’t fast due to time or work.

Thanks man!

RE: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - ParceVeinte4 - 03-16-2019

I would do whatever your doc says, unless its totally unreasonable. Definitely affects your glucose levels, but im not sure how kuch it affects lipids and everything else.

RE: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - keoking - 03-16-2019

Based on my internet research, consistency is King when tracking long term health trends using blood work. If you get baseline levels fasted, you should get comparison bloods fasted. A fasted state is more stable and repeatable than when you have eaten something.

That aside, Heavyweightmover already covered blood sugar only being truly valid when fasted. In a standard CMP/CBC panel, eating won't have a huge impact on the rest. Recent alcohol use will impact liver values, but so will Tylenol and a shitload of herbal supplements. I've gotten blood work fasted and fed, but I still try to keep my carbs/sugar down so that I don't spike the sugar value.

Bottom line, if I'm paying $100 to $200 for some fancy blood test, I'm going to do everything I can to get to most valid results I can.

RE: Bloodwork: Is Fasting Necessary - DMill9 - 03-17-2019

(03-16-2019, 11:44 PM)keoking Wrote: Based on my internet research, consistency is King when tracking long term health trends using blood work. If you get baseline levels fasted, you should get comparison bloods fasted. A fasted state is more stable and repeatable than when you have eaten something.

That aside, Heavyweightmover already covered blood sugar only being truly valid when fasted. In a standard CMP/CBC panel, eating won't have a huge impact on the rest. Recent alcohol use will impact liver values, but so will Tylenol and a shitload of herbal supplements. I've gotten blood work fasted and fed, but I still try to keep my carbs/sugar down so that I don't spike the sugar value.

Bottom line, if I'm paying $100 to $200 for some fancy blood test, I'm going to do everything I can to get to most valid results I can.

Points taken. Thank you for the response.