What is the best/ easiest to follow homebrew guide?

Topic created · 7 Posts · 1288 Views
  • I am considering going the home brew route. The guides I have found are different.

Like one recommends a syringe filter which I’ve gathered is a pain, so I’m going to the get the more expensive filter.

Also one guide talks about using a steam cooker. Is that for sterilizing vials?

Please let me know which guide helped you the most. Thank you.

• Just read all the guides on the Reddit wiki. Use pre serialized vials so you do t have to do it (sterilization is the easiest part to fuck up). The actual brew is about the furthest thing from rocket science and you’ll be shocked at how easy it is.

• [quote=“Brochacho_Prime” pid=‘22238’ dateline=‘1533568593’]
    Just read all the guides on the Reddit wiki. Use pre serialized vials so you do t have to do it (sterilization is the easiest part to fuck up). The actual brew is about the furthest thing from rocket science and you’ll be shocked at how easy it is.
    [/quote]

Thanks. So that part about using a steam cooker is only to sterilize vials? Sorry it’s been awhile since I read the guides and I bounced back and forth a lot of them.

The savings are still substantial when you buy pre sterilized vials right? Thanks

• [quote=“kickingbanana” pid=‘22386’ dateline=‘1533732987’]
    [quote=“Brochacho_Prime” pid=‘22238’ dateline=‘1533568593’]
    Just read all the guides on the Reddit wiki. Use pre serialized vials so you do t have to do it (sterilization is the easiest part to fuck up). The actual brew is about the furthest thing from rocket science and you’ll be shocked at how easy it is.
    [/quote]

Thanks. So that part about using a steam cooker is only to sterilize vials? Sorry it’s been awhile since I read the guides and I bounced back and forth a lot of them.

The savings are still substantial when you buy pre sterilized vials right? Thanks
    [/quote]

So given the amount you’ll be brewing, you’re better off not fucking with sterlizing your own vials and using syringe filters. Bottle top filters and crimping your own vials that you sterilize adds a lot of upfront cost that is unnecessary unless you’re providing gear for friends/clients or are super extra.

• [quote=“Brochacho_Prime” pid=‘22397’ dateline=‘1533739879’]
    [quote=“kickingbanana” pid=‘22386’ dateline=‘1533732987’]
    [quote=“Brochacho_Prime” pid=‘22238’ dateline=‘1533568593’]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

So given the amount you’ll be brewing, you’re better off not fucking with sterlizing your own vials and using syringe filters. Bottle top filters and crimping your own vials that you sterilize adds a lot of upfront cost that is unnecessary unless you’re providing gear for friends/clients or are super extra.
    [/quote]

I would be providing for a few friends. So you are suggesting using a syringe filter, instead of bottle top filter? I heard that the syringe filter is a huge pain.

• If you’re cooking for friends, I would probably use a bottle top, especially if they’re savages like my friends are. Spend the extra money for a glass media bottle to use with the BT filters, nothing is worse than having the plastic guys crack mid filter.

• [quote=“Brochacho_Prime” pid=‘22527’ dateline=‘1533909560’]
    If you’re cooking for friends, I would probably use a bottle top, especially if they’re savages like my friends are. Spend the extra money for a glass media bottle to use with the BT filters, nothing is worse than having the plastic guys crack mid filter.
    [/quote]

Can you recommend a good bt filter?