Checking USPS tracking and why you shouldn't

Topic created · 16 Posts · 1192 Views
  • Ok so not sure if I read this here or on other sites but I know I have seen this stated. That somehow checking a USPS tracking number can flag the postal service or Leo of a potential illegal item or something.

There are millions of things shipped daily. I know I have bought car parts and many other things where I checked tracking because I needed to know when something was going to arrive.

Not sure where the idea that tracking is bad. Maybe I misunderstood this so can someone help explain?

• You shouldn’t hawk tracking because it doesn’t make packages go anywhere faster. It will just make you worried and nervous about your pack. Plus the usps is very weird and something can be in your city and still take 3+ business days before it gets out on a truck for delivery

• [quote=“propionate” pid=‘52623’ dateline=‘1557672845’]
    You shouldn’t hawk tracking because it doesn’t make packages go anywhere faster. It will just make you worried and nervous about your pack. Plus the usps is very weird and something can be in your city and still take 3+ business days before it gets out on a truck for delivery
    [/quote]

I understand that part, but I thought it was the idea that checking a tracking number flagged it in the system. And that was what was bad about it. Like I said, maybe I just misunderstood it.

• Wtf. Who told you this? No checking a tracking number doesn’t flag anything. I relentlessly track all my orders just for the excitement of receiving something in the mail.

Someone in a Usps back office, “Uh oh. Capt checked this tracking number 7 times. Must be something fishy in the box.”

Wherever you heard that is stupid.

• [quote=“CaptainAmerica” pid=‘52630’ dateline=‘1557673679’]
    Wtf. Who told you this? No checking a tracking number doesn’t flag anything. I relentlessly track all my orders just for the excitement of receiving something in the mail.

Someone in a Usps back office, “Uh oh. Capt checked this tracking number 7 times. Must be something fishy in the box.”

Wherever you heard that is stupid.
    [/quote]

idk man without my tinfoil hat on I try not to think about my pack so uncle sam can’t hear my gainz

• [quote=“TiredandHot” pid=‘52628’ dateline=‘1557673388’]

I understand that part, but I thought it was the idea that checking a tracking number flagged it in the system. And that was what was bad about it. Like I said, maybe I just misunderstood it.
    [/quote]

I know of only one person who was arrested with data from tracking, here’s a link https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/05/how-the-usps-targeted-a-drug-dealer-via-his-ip-address/

They mine your data when tracking but unless given a reason you are fine

• Thanks guys, not sure where I heard that but it’s always something I been meaning to ask. I rarely ask sources for tracking anyways.

• [quote=“TiredandHot” pid=‘52617’ dateline=‘1557671053’]
    Ok so not sure if I read this here or on other sites but I know I have seen this stated. That somehow checking a USPS tracking number can flag the postal service or Leo of a potential illegal item or something.

There are millions of things shipped daily. I know I have bought car parts and many other things where I checked tracking because I needed to know when something was going to arrive.

Not sure where the idea that tracking is bad. Maybe I misunderstood this so can someone help explain?
    [/quote]

IIRC, there was a source on this board who didn’t give out tracking information for just this reason - they were afraid of customers checking their tracking too often and the packaging getting flagged.

The thing about AAS sources that differs from the car parts you ordered is (and Captain delete this if it is too much OPSEC info) is because the car parts are sent from real business addressed. AAS sources normally use fake addresses for their packages.

• THE PARANOIA IS STRONG WITH SOME YOU

• [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘52659’ dateline=‘1557679977’]
    [quote=“TiredandHot” pid=‘52617’ dateline=‘1557671053’]
    Ok so not sure if I read this here or on other sites but I know I have seen this stated. That somehow checking a USPS tracking number can flag the postal service or Leo of a potential illegal item or something.

[/quote]

IIRC, there was a source on this board who didn’t give out tracking information for just this reason - they were afraid of customers checking their tracking too often and the packaging getting flagged.

The thing about AAS sources that differs from the car parts you ordered is (and Captain delete this if it is too much OPSEC info) is because the car parts are sent from real business addressed. AAS sources normally use fake addresses for their packages.
    [/quote]

My man nobody is using fake return addresses. That’s a no-no. Anyways, paranoia thread, informed delivery shows allll.

• [quote=“Masterofron” pid=‘52662’ dateline=‘1557681486’]
    [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘52659’ dateline=‘1557679977’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My man nobody is using fake return addresses. That’s a no-no. Anyways, paranoia thread, informed delivery shows allll.
    [/quote]

Eh, I am just reiterating the things I remember sources saying when this stuff came out (not giving out tracking info).

Most of this have changed though with informed delivery like you said though. Informed delivery went country wide in ~2017, so this was mostly an issue with sourcing stuff before 2017.

• If you check tracking technically USPS will have your IP address. Which then leo can get. I thnk ive read this about a case before online, but it was high dollar case. i doubt leo would give a shit about your 8 vials in the mail lol.

• I used informed delivery to track my packages and the FBI showed up at my door and arrested me.

Posting this from prison

Sincerely,
    Inmate #274207

• [quote=“Masterofron” pid=‘52662’ dateline=‘1557681486’]
    [quote=“DNPstoney” pid=‘52659’ dateline=‘1557679977’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree. Whenever I have to ship some stuff, I always find a real address and use it.

• Highly doubt the validity of this. I do think checking tracking can log your IP and they could use it against you in court but that’s incredibly unlikely

• [quote=“yelruP” pid=‘52668’ dateline=‘1557683606’]
    I used informed delivery to track my packages and the FBI showed up at my door and arrested me.

Posting this from prison

Sincerely,
    Inmate #274207
    [/quote]

They can still get you in prison if you think too loud bro, you want some of my tinfoil?