Fuck low carb

Topic created · 10 Posts · 597 Views
  • I changed my diet drastically after I recovered from shoulder surgery. Started eating very clean and subbing out carbs for veggies most meals. No soda or junk sugar in anything I eat. I’ll eat a small amount of brown rice or a small sweet potato when I feel like eating some carbs but some days I have next to no carbs. Been eating like this approximately 1.5 months.

Wasn’t trying for keto or even tracking macros. Today I was out running errands and I felt super tired and mentally foggy. I was doing things that didn’t make any sense. I was nauseated and all around feeling like a little bitch.

After hours of feeling like shit I had the wife take me to get a blood glucose meter. Read 63. That’s not danger low but I usually run 95-110 whenever I get it checked so I was feeling it.

Couple spoonfuls of honey and 25 minutes later everything was right with the world.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this before? If I continue with the way I’m eating will I just push past the shitty feeling?

-zom

• Yeah dude, I’m bipolar with PTSD and I directly relate the severity of my symptoms to the amount of and quality of carbohydrates I consume. Last year I lost a shit load of weight doing the keto thing, and it’s the best I’ve ever felt. I believe in sustainability, and where I am it’s just too difficult to fit it into my lifestyle comfortably without making too many sacrifices to get into town or to my wallet. If I could manage it with less stress I absolutely would, but I think specifically keto is a highly individual nutritional decision. I think EVERYONE however should be conscious of, if not moderate, their carbohydrate intake. Athletes can optimize performance or aesthetic with the proper sources/amounts and cycling, the average lifter will find more sustainable energy throughout their day and more consistent recovery, and the average joe will notice it’s incredibly easier to manage issues they may have had with sleep and lethargy.

I don’t think really anyone needs to focus on being LOW carb unless it’s been medically deemed relevant by a professional, though. I can function perfectly fine with 100g carbs, and still lift extremely heavy, hitting PR’s (granted I’ve not been lifting decades, it’s bound to happen). If you are low carb (think sub 50-75g/day) then things like micro nutrient intake and fat sources are crucial for feeling normal. I’ve been anywhere from almost 0 net carbs to over 700g and I think it has a lot to do with just doing what works for you, and what feels best. If you can’t function on low carb and don’t like what you’re seeing and feeling on high carb, I suggest playing with eating most of your carbs around your workouts and increasing your fat intake marginally. You may be like me in that while high carb can be awesome for gaining weight and I can handle it, moderate carb intake helps me feel better overall and keeps my bowels and shit functioning smooth.

• if you’re not doing a keto diet, I’d keep carbs at 150g at least, which is roughly the amount needed to sustain optimal thyroid function as well. sweet potatoes, veggies, fruit (ideally berries) are all great sources full of nutrients

• Most days on bulk I’ll eat easily 500+ grams of carbs at the lowest but still maintain abs due to metabolism. Even on cuts I don’t go low carb because I cannot think or function especially at work. I tried to do low carb last summer and working in the 120 degree heat in the desert with no carbs DO NOT MIX.

• Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m definitely going to adjust my diet and track macros. Going to start off at 35/25/40 (protein / carbs / fat) which may still be too low but will keep an eye on it.

• [quote=“yelruP” pid=‘54104’ dateline=‘1558529478’]
    Most days on bulk I’ll eat easily 500+ grams of carbs at the lowest but still maintain abs due to metabolism. Even on cuts I don’t go low carb because I cannot think or function especially at work. I tried to do low carb last summer and working in the 120 degree heat in the desert with no carbs DO NOT MIX.
    [/quote]

Normally I can only get away with like 3-400g carb before I start to retain a fair a bit of water around my midsection but this little bit of tren has me pounding 600g+ and looking leaner the next morning so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• [quote=“superawesomename” pid=‘54168’ dateline=‘1558554732’]
    [quote=“yelruP” pid=‘54104’ dateline=‘1558529478’]
    Most days on bulk I’ll eat easily 500+ grams of carbs at the lowest but still maintain abs due to metabolism. Even on cuts I don’t go low carb because I cannot think or function especially at work. I tried to do low carb last summer and working in the 120 degree heat in the desert with no carbs DO NOT MIX.
    [/quote]

Normally I can only get away with like 3-400g carb before I start to retain a fair a bit of water around my midsection but this little bit of tren has me pounding 600g+ and looking leaner the next morning so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    [/quote]

Tren makes me crave carbs like an addict. It’s bad haha

• I’m not looking at tren for a long time. 2 years off any kinda gym just got back a month ago. Tren wouldn’t do anything good for me in the sorry shape I’m in. Just trt and creatine for me lol.

• This is common with low carb diets until you’re in ketosis; the brain is looking for glucose and without being in ketosis cannot utilize ketone bodies for fuel. Once you’re in ketosis or “fat adapted” that changes and you’ll feel fine again/even better according to some ppl;

As far as lifting weights on keto and how that feels, that’s a different story

• If I don’t have a bag of Doritos Every three hours , I might as well say I’m on keto.