Hobbies

Topic created · 21 Posts · 982 Views
  • What do you guys do in your free/alone time? I am in medical school now but my alone time/free time habits have always been garbage and it’s really been getting to me lately. If I have nothing productive to do, and friends are busy and I’m not hanging out with some tinder creature, I’ll typically take my dog outside for half an hour (he begs to go back inside at that point, we play intense), then wind up just browsing random internet stuff on my phone or playing video games, watching dumb youtube videos, etc… Essentially just passing the time with mindless distractions.

When I was a kid I was big into reading both novels and scientific stuff, and teaching myself different skills like an instrument or coding, a language, etc, but medical school kind of scratches my itch for reading and learning now, and doesn’t leave much brain power for other stuff of that nature. This summer I was spending almost all my free time reading finance and investing textbooks, for example, but I no longer have the spare brain power to have any desire to do this anymore.

I’m honestly getting sick and tired of what happens these days when no friends are available or I don’t feel like joining in what they’re doing. I just wind up playing video games, etc., while hanging out with my dog because I just don’t really know what else to do. Gym doesn’t exactly fill a lot of my time either, and the time consumption of medical school is greatly over exaggerated (at least so far in my 1st year), such that I often find myself with entire weekends with nothing to do except sit in my house wasting my time on distractions really.

I’m looking mainly for relaxing ways to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE and pass the time I have in a way that leaves me feeling satisfied or content, not just “oh well there went a whole two days straight playing video games, don’t even remember any of it because I was spaced out daydreaming the whole time”. Again I mainly wind up doing this just out of a lack of other options/ideas, and just think to myself “well what else am I gonna do”. It’s not some addiction I’m trying to quit like a lot of the young kids seem to have these days, I don’t derive any pleasure from these video games, youtube videos, etc… I just do it because I know it passes the time; I get very bored and wind up thinking to myself that it’s better than sitting by myself doing absolutely nothing at all.

What do you guys do, and do you have any suggestions? I was interested in asking you guys because I have a feeling our tastes will be quite a bit different than the average population.

• real sports (aka not bodybuilding), whether thats a team sport, some olympic sport, martial arts etc. - you’ll make beginner gains all over again, learn an entirely new skillset and can meet some solid people with a passion for their sport who usually arent instagram hoes (male/female)

• if you like nature, hiking

• volunteer at a local shelter and play with kittens and puppies

• Everything is a waste of time, it just depends on what you enjoy.

Playing piano, tenor and alto saxophone is something I’ve done for 35 years, straight jazz, hard bop are my favorite styles of playing.

I like to meditate as much as possible to get away from the world, reading technical manuals, cosmology, philosophy.

I haven’t owned a television for 25 years, most people are annoying as f*ck, so it’s cool when you have a few friends that are into the same stuff, but don’t look for a connection with most of humanity that seems scared by anyone the slightest bit different.

If we were truly free to do as we please, I’d probably be doing something highly subversive to a mainstream society and government I detest.

Fantasy hobby, buying a bulldozer and knocking over churches, synogogues, mosques, temples, police stations, congressional office buildings and anyone else involved in douchebaggery.

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73246’ dateline=‘1572262498’]

• real sports (aka not bodybuilding), whether thats a team sport, some olympic sport, martial arts etc. - you’ll make beginner gains all over again, learn an entirely new skillset and can meet some solid people with a passion for their sport who usually arent instagram hoes (male/female)

[/quote]

All of these and include fishing to the list if you live somewhere where that’s possible.

Fishing is one of my favorite past times and is top tier when it comes to relaxion (at least for me personally).

• @“Dexter” lol bro how’re you going to open with ‘everything is a waste of time’ and then continue to a vast list of completely viable hobbies you enjoy? Haha

I do also think a musical instrument is a fairly lucrative investment of time. In addition to learning a new skill set that takes time to progress effectively (like bb’ing), you get a solid amount of time to relax, and for lack of a better term, mediate.

I do agree with Dexter though, it all just depends on what you enjoy. You can’t really force yourself to start a hobby you don’t have interest in, or it defeats the purpose.

• The thing the OP mentioned about video games and other sedentary pursuits, that’s something that has taken over in the past 15 years.

Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s we didn’t sit around, no one sat inside their house and stared at a screen. If you did that back then, people felt sorry for you, it was like the worst form of punishment, we all dreaded it growing up.

Granted everything is cerebral these days, no one uses their body anymore to engage in activities, its mostly mindless screen watching and that’s happened for all generations from two years old to 102.

I love the internet because it affords you access to things we didn’t have when I was younger, but its addictive time sucking nature can rob you of a lot in life, at the same time it can open up your world to new ideas as well, stuff you’d probably never come across.

It would do humanity a great service if the internet and all forms of media were blacked out 3 days every week to allow people to face the fact that staring at a screen is not fun, but in fact should be considered a form of torture.

• [quote=“thallandchill” pid=‘73252’ dateline=‘1572269604’]
    [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73246’ dateline=‘1572262498’]

[/quote]

All of these and include fishing to the list if you live somewhere where that’s possible.

Fishing is one of my favorite past times and is top tier when it comes to relaxion (at least for me personally).
    [/quote]

fishing is a great idea and source of good food. something way more expensive/involved would be game hunting including doing the whole butchering of the animal (which I find fascinating)

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73262’ dateline=‘1572280186’]
    [quote=“thallandchill” pid=‘73252’ dateline=‘1572269604’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

fishing is a great idea and source of good food. something way more expensive/involved would be game hunting including doing the whole butchering of the animal (which I find fascinating)
    [/quote]

I do hunt, and while I’ve processed my own deer, I prefer to just take it to a processor and paying for them to do it for me. Once you have a gun, really the most expensive part is just paying for tags once a year and any kind of upkeep you do where you hunt (like planting oats or another cover crop, filling deer feeders etc.)

You’re from Europe though, right? I’m not sure of the costs/process to hunt over there. I’m assuming it’s more of a hassle to get a gun over there, but I could be wrong. I follow European politics to some extent but I’m not well versed in all of the nuances and such.

When I process the meat, I typically just grind it all up but taking it somewhere I can get sausages, steaks and all kinds of other stuff made without any extra hassle on my end.

Not to mention, I can have the processor add pork or beef to adjust the fat content of the meat as I like.

Venison is a staple of my diet, and it is well worth the time and effort to kill a couple every year.

• [quote=“thallandchill” pid=‘73263’ dateline=‘1572280766’]
    [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73262’ dateline=‘1572280186’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do hunt, and while I’ve processed my own deer, I prefer to just take it to a processor and paying for them to do it for me. Once you have a gun, really the most expensive part is just paying for tags once a year and any kind of upkeep you do where you hunt (like planting oats or another cover crop, filling deer feeders etc.)

You’re from Europe though, right? I’m not sure of the costs/process to hunt over there. I’m assuming it’s more of a hassle to get a gun over there, but I could be wrong. I follow European politics to some extent but I’m not well versed in all of the nuances and such.

When I process the meat, I typically just grind it all up but taking it somewhere I can get sausages, steaks and all kinds of other stuff made without any extra hassle on my end.

Not to mention, I can have the processor add pork or beef to adjust the fat content of the meat as I like.

Venison is a staple of my diet, and it is well worth the time and effort to kill a couple every year.
    [/quote]

Yea, Germany - a hunting license and the bare minimum hunting gear will cost about 3000usd I’d wager, and you have to pay a decent sum for each kill you make - it’s quite an expensive ‘hobby’ and most hunters sell their game for premium prices to come out ahead.

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73277’ dateline=‘1572297153’]

Yea, Germany - a hunting license and the bare minimum hunting gear will cost about 3000usd I’d wager, and you have to pay a decent sum for each kill you make - it’s quite an expensive ‘hobby’ and most hunters sell their game for premium prices to come out ahead.
    [/quote]

I looked up what it takes to get started in Germany, and while a decent hunting rifle isn’t too expensive for something that retains it’s use for so long if you take care of it (I found some pretty good rifles for around 600.00 USD), the amount of certifications and red tape you gotta go through is a lot.

Looks like you gotta have a gun license, hunting license, permits, hunting insurance and a whole bunch of other exams and shit. Not to mention you’ll probably have to pay someone to lease their land to hunt on.

A lot more than what I’ve got to deal with here in the southern US.

• [quote=“thallandchill” pid=‘73281’ dateline=‘1572298085’]
    [/quote]
    hunting grounds are quite sparse in my state so I’d have to travel a lot as well, it’s a more worthwhile pursuit living in southern states like bavaria.

licenses are rather expensive here overall, a drivers license costs about 1500-2000usd depending on how quickly you want to obtain it

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73285’ dateline=‘1572298749’]
    [quote=“thallandchill” pid=‘73281’ dateline=‘1572298085’]
    [/quote]
    hunting grounds are quite sparse in my state so I’d have to travel a lot as well, it’s a more worthwhile pursuit living in southern states like bavaria.

licenses are rather expensive here overall, a drivers license costs about 1500-2000usd depending on how quickly you want to obtain it
    [/quote]

Yeah, but the traveling makes it nice! I usually go out for weekends and just stay where I hunt and camp for a few days. It’s really nice to get away from everything.

I pay 300.00 USD a year to hunt on several hundred acres of land. As long as I keep it clean and maintained, the dude is good with me hunting it.

That’s an insane cost for a driver’s license…

• [quote=“Dexter” pid=‘73251’ dateline=‘1572268835’]
    Everything is a waste of time, it just depends on what you enjoy.

Playing piano, tenor and alto saxophone is something I’ve done for 35 years, straight jazz, hard bop are my favorite styles of playing.

I like to meditate as much as possible to get away from the world, reading technical manuals, cosmology, philosophy.

I haven’t owned a television for 25 years, most people are annoying as f*ck, so it’s cool when you have a few friends that are into the same stuff, but don’t look for a connection with most of humanity that seems scared by anyone the slightest bit different.

If we were truly free to do as we please, I’d probably be doing something highly subversive to a mainstream society and government I detest.

Fantasy hobby, buying a bulldozer and knocking over churches, synogogues, mosques, temples, police stations, congressional office buildings and anyone else involved in douchebaggery.
    [/quote]

I love playing piano as well. I didn’t know you were into jazz. Who are some of your favorites? I would have to say Bill Evans is my favorite pianist and Paul Desmond is my favorite sax player. Do you like either or them?

• [quote=“MikeAlstott” pid=‘73374’ dateline=‘1572381302’]

I love playing piano as well. I didn’t know you were into jazz. Who are some of your favorites? I would have to say Bill Evans is my favorite pianist and Paul Desmond is my favorite sax player. Do you like either or them?
    [/quote]

I think everyones favorite jazz pianist is Mr. Evans, his voicings are the work of genius. I think I have his complete discography and have studied him quite a bit over the years.
    Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, Kenny Barron, Cedar Walton, Tommy Flanagan, Keith Jarrett,Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson.

I like Paul Desmond as well, Charlie Parker, Jackie McLean, Bobby Watson, Michael Brecker, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter.

Favorite composers are Brahms, Mahler, Beethoven, Robert Schumann, Bartok, Rachmaninoff…and a long list of Russian composers that I find created some of the darkest and most powerful music ever written.

I could list names off all day, I have about ten thousand cds and records in my jazz and classical collection.

• [quote=“appropionate” pid=‘73262’ dateline=‘1572280186’]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn’t necessarily say “way more expensive” I can drop a G on a few new rod/reel combo’s and some tackle in a hurry haha

• I fall under that mindless media consumption as well but I have been better at limiting my gaming time. I recently have found my love again for the mobile game Pokemon go, it might be worth a look OP. I find Pokemon Go a healthier option for that dopamine that I crave from games and it gives me a reason to hit some cardio at the nearby parks and beaches while catching some pokemon. The other games I play is fortnite and League of legends if anyone wants to get some lobbies together hmu.

You could also try learning how to dance. Not so much college courses like jazz or whatever but you could load up a youtube video on club dancing or whatevers currently in. Its something a bit more active and when you eventually hit up a place that’s raging it could come in handy. Could get you laid! Like put maybe 30-60mins of practice into it a day, just feeling yourself to the beat and incorporating things you learned from youtube. It was honestly a lot of fun once I went from that awkward standing around guy at the bar guy to easily starting the party on the dance floor.

• I’m super into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. For me it’s a great place to socialize and work together as a team towards various goals (adding new techniques to our game, winning tournaments). It’s great cardio, good blend of LISS while drilling and HIIT while sparring (depending on how lazy I am rolling). It could easily fill up all of my spare time if I let it.

• This post is deleted!
  • Yep, Jiu-Jitzu is a great sport to watch.
    In the beginning, many punters are inclined to play big accumulators, including a number of different selections which need to be correct in order to win https://betsofa.com/ . The idea behind the accumulator is, of course, to win big with a minimal stake as the odds are multiplying with each additional selection.

• This post is deleted!