Mid Cycle RBC Count and Hemoglobin Low

Topic created · 4 Posts · 272 Views
  • On cycle bloods:

Red blood cell count and hemoglobin low, any obvious reasons for this? or ways to increase?

I’m reading low iron intake causes low hemoglobin, but my iron intake is actually high.

I thought RBC count should be high when on any anabolics?

RBC: 4.12 (low) [(ref. range) 4.14-5.8]
    Hemoglobin 12.3 (low) [(ref. range) 13.0-17.7]

• [quote=“fattyboydylan” pid=‘73695’ dateline=‘1572672112’]
    On cycle bloods:

Red blood cell count and hemoglobin low, any obvious reasons for this? or ways to increase?

I’m reading low iron intake causes low hemoglobin, but my iron intake is actually high.

[/quote]

Honestly varies person to person. I donated blood on my cruise right after my last blast and my hemoglobin was 14. I’ve donated off cycle and been at 17. A lot of it has to do with hydration as well.

• [quote=“fattyboydylan” pid=‘73695’ dateline=‘1572672112’]
    On cycle bloods:

[/quote]

What was your red cell indicies. MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW.

Keeping an eye out for low values suggesting microcytic anemia. Were they on the lower end of the reference range. Did the lab do a manual differential and report out rbc morphology.

Next test would be Ferritin, iron/total iron binding capacity.

Most steroids cause androgen induced erythrocytosis causing increases in redcell production

10% of iron is free in plasma.
    20% is bound in a protein called Ferritin.
    70% is used for making hemoglobin containing rbcs to carry oxygen.
    There’s some contained in myoglobin (muscle cells) and some other cells that require iron for respiration as well.

Most iron depletion can be reversed fairly quickly with 18mg of iron every day, and not exceeding this dose for about one month.

The other thing to consider when it comes to lower red count/hbg is over hydration, not all that common, but if you’re really well hydrated it’s possible you diluted your red cell count with too much plasma.

• [quote=“Dexter” pid=‘73721’ dateline=‘1572702526’]
    [quote=“fattyboydylan” pid=‘73695’ dateline=‘1572672112’]
    On cycle bloods:

[/quote]

What was your red cell indicies. MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW.

Keeping an eye out for low values suggesting microcytic anemia. Were they on the lower end of the reference range. Did the lab do a manual differential and report out rbc morphology.

Next test would be Ferritin, iron/total iron binding capacity.

Most steroids cause androgen induced erythrocytosis causing increases in redcell production

10% of iron is free in plasma.
    20% is bound in a protein called Ferritin.
    70% is used for making hemoglobin containing rbcs to carry oxygen.
    There’s some contained in myoglobin (muscle cells) and some other cells that require iron for respiration as well.

Most iron depletion can be reversed fairly quickly with 18mg of iron every day, and not exceeding this dose for about one month.

The other thing to consider when it comes to lower red count/hbg is over hydration, not all that common, but if you’re really well hydrated it’s possible you diluted your red cell count with too much plasma.
    [/quote]

My MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW all in normal range. Thanks for the information, that gives me a good base to look into.